Downtown Milford, Inc. and others from Milford took home a combined total of eight awards during the 2016 Downtown Delaware Revitalize! Conference.
More than 160 attendees visited the World Café Live in Wilmington’s refurbished Queen Theatre and the Baby Grand on Market Street for the event March 16 including Delaware Governor Jack Markell, Delaware Economic Development Office Director Bernice Whaley and Wilmington Mayor Dennis P. Williams.
The conference focused on the theme, “placemaking,” and conference attendees were treated to a variety of sessions hosted by industry experts that provided applicable, practice ways of implementing strategies, as well as tours of the hosting venues, according to DMI Executive Director Lee Nelson.
The day was capped off by the official presentation of the Excellence in Downtown Revitalization Awards to celebrate the successes in business districts statewide.
“Out of 15 competitive categories, Milford won five. That’s one-third of them. Given our competitors are Wilmington, Newark, Middletown and the like, we did quite well,” Mr. Nelson said. “In terms of recognitions, we far outshone the competition. All of this, in my view, is a reflection on our residents’ commitment to making Milford a better place to work, play and shop.”
DMI earned four awards for the best retail event activity, best image activity utilizing cooperative television advertising, outstanding volunteer program activity and outstanding fundraiser activity. Sugar Bee Boutique earned an award for outstanding business activity.
“We were delighted and honored to receive so many awards. It was very exciting for Petite Sweets, Sugar Bee and DMI, but the awards are recognition for all of downtown Milford businesses and our extraordinary DMI volunteers. They are the spark keeping Milford growing and we can’t thank them enough,” he said.
“Even though our population is less than many places in the state, we lead in the state in terms of volunteering. DEDO recognizing those efforts is encouraging.”
Milford’s 2016 Downtown Delaware Revitalize! Awards:
- Outstanding Downtown Business Owners of the Year for the City of Milford: Keila Montalvo and Albert Sierra Owners of Petite Sweets
- City of Milford Parks & Recreation Dept. Award Category Outstanding Downtown Community Partner for the City of Milford
- Dan Marabello Award Category Outstanding Downtown Volunteer for the City of Milford
- Outstanding Business Activity: Sugar Bee Boutique. Awardees :Sherry Shupe and Peggy Reilly
- Outstanding Fundraiser Activity: Eat in the Street. Awardee: Downtown Milford Inc.
- Outstanding Volunteer Program Activity: DMI Volunteer Coordinator Position. Awardee: Downtown Milford Inc.
- Best Retail Event Activity: Holiday Stroll 2015. Awardee: Downtown Milford Inc.
- Best Image Activity Cooperative Television Advertising: Campaign Awardee: Downtown Milford Inc.